Living History - in an Old House

It is certainly one of the more intriguing aspects of living in an old house, like Brewster House, that you are confronted from time-to-time with bits of history.

Yesterday the doorbell rang, and, expecting guests to be arriving, we went to the door only to find two relatives of Jarvis Brewster (the man who built Brewster House) who were in the area and stopped by for a brief visit. What a delightful chat we had! Harriett (Brewster) Verheyen, sister of James Brewster (who provided some of the information on our history page), and her daughter, Marie Verheyen, toured the B&B, admired the original fireplace in the parlor and the tin ceiling in the dining room, and viewed several of the seven guest rooms (those not currently occupied!).

Brewster Block - Freeport Centennial 1889We were also able to give them a photocopy of a photo of the "Brewster Block" during the Freeport Centennial in 1889. Brewster Block was a building near where L.L. Bean's flagship store is now located, and where Jarvis (whom Harriett and Marie both refer to as "Uncle Del") Brewster had his dry goods store. We suspect that Javis ("Uncle Del") Brewster is in this photo, and perhaps his brother, James Hiram Brewster, who worked with him in the Freeport store for a time, as well. However, we haven't yet located any photos of the two men, so we aren't able to identify them with any degree of confidence.

At left in the photo you can make out the edge of the Congregational Church, on the site of the present L.L. Bean flagship store. That church was destroyed by fire in 1894, and the fire did move to the Brewster Block, destroying it as well.

We've also verified information we've had for some time, that our Brewsters are descended from Elder William Brewster, who came from England on the Mayflower.More about that when we have time to add to the history page.

19 August 2007

Blogs: